14. What if I have already sent the cash?

  • Immediately notify your bank, credit union, or check cashing service. You’ll have to return the money.
  • If you deposited the phony check or money order, your bank or credit union may have already removed the money from your account by the time you discover the problem.
  • Explain that you’ve been scammed and request that no negative actions be taken against you (such as closing your account or reporting you to a checking account abuse database). If that has already happened, ask if that action can be reversed.
  • If there isn’t enough in your account to cover the loss, you could be sued to recover the funds. Try to work out a repayment plan.
  • File a report with your local police department.
  • Report the scam to the National Consumers League, which will pass the information along to law enforcement agencies.
> Foreign Business Offers
> Love Losses
> Overpayments
> Rental Schemes
> Sudden Riches
> Work-at-Home