13. What if I deposited or cashed the check or money order but havenít sent the cash yet?

  • Immediately notify your bank or credit union, or a check cashing service if you used one. You’ll have to return the money.
  • If you deposited the phony check or money order, your bank or credit union may have already removed the money from your account by the time you discover the problem.
  • Explain that you’ve been scammed and ask not to have any negative action taken against you such as closing your account or reporting you to a checking account abuse database. If that has already happened, ask if that action can be reversed.
  • File a report with your local police to put on record that you’re a scam victim.
  • Report the scam to the National Consumers League, which will pass the information along to law enforcement agencies.
> Foreign Business Offers
> Love Losses
> Overpayments
> Rental Schemes
> Sudden Riches
> Work-at-Home